|Due By (Pacific Time)
||12/23/2016 12:00 am
Option #2: Cash Shortage Investigation
Read the Portfolio Project Option #2 Fact Pattern Sheet linked at the bottom of the page. Imagine that you have been called in as a fraud investigator to examine why the cash shortages described have been occurring. You also must identify who is committing the fraud, and you must accumulate evidence to obtain a conviction against the individual(s) involved.
Prepare a memorandum that addresses the following items in detail:
- What is the type of fraud being investigated? Explain the rationale.
- Who are the possible perpetrator(s) of the cash shortages? Explain.
- Based on the facts presented, identify possible deficiencies within the internal control system of ABC. Assuming this was a publicly held company, what are some of the possible violations of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act? List all sections of the Act that have potentially been violated and present evidence to support your position. How can the deficiencies of the internal control system be mitigated?
- Identify any conflicts of interest within this case and analyze possible outcomes that may occur.
- What are some of the motivating factors and criminal opportunities that would cause this crime to occur?
- What patterns of behavior point towards a certain individual(s) being the perpetrator(s) of the cash shortages?
- For investigative purposes, what evidence needs to be procured to substantiate a conviction for the individual(s) involved? List all documents needed, and indicate which items will require a subpoena or search warrant, assuming that you are a fraud investigator from a state agency authorized to conduct such investigations.
- After obtaining and reviewing the evidence, do you feel that you are ready to interview the perpetrator(s)? What is your recommended approach to such an interview(s)? What questions (minimum of ten would you most likely ask?
- Present your findings in this investigation stating:
- The name(s) of the accused.
- Evidence that links the person(s) to the crime.
- Charges recommended to the prosecutor.
Your report should be 8- to 10 pages in length, and you should include a section that addresses each item separately and in chronological order. Your report must be supported by at least five credible sources. Your sources may be from the course readings or from the CSU-Global Library. Your paper must be formatted in accordance with the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements.
RK MUST BE ORIGINAL AND IN APA FORMAT