Describe the catalyst to or reason for the founding of your group and a brief overview of the group's goals. (History of group, influential persons involved, etc.) Include the type of interest group into which this organization would be classified.
- Describe the "typical" or "average" member of your group and provide group demographics. Do research here ... don't just guess.
- What are three to five benefits a member of your group can expect with his/her membership? Describe in detail.
- What are two issues about which your group lobbied the Texas Legislature in the last few years? Describe in detail. What was the outcome? (Find specific bills ... see the link in the preview page of lesson 5 to the Legislative Website) Include an overview of prevailing state and/national public policy in this area. (Check library databases, national newspapers, etc.) What are the prevailing trends in this area in the last year or two? Was this an issue being discussed at length in the presidential debates this year?
- What are two or three specific ways your group works to influence policy decisions? How effective is your group in TX and/or nationally? How do they lobby?? Explain. Give reasons and examples.
- How does public opinion or outside pressure affect what issues your group might tackle? Does it support your group or work against it? Why?
Content/Questions addressed: 75 possible points
PowerPoint (directions followed, creativity, sources, etc.): 25 points possible
The PowerPoint will be submitted within this assignment in Blackboard. Click on the title of the assignment above in order to access the submission page. Attach the PowerPoint as a file. ONLY PPT, PPTX, or PDF file formats accepted.
DUE DATE: Sunday, Friday, December 30 at 11:00pm