|Due By (Pacific Time)
||08/21/2017 12:00 am
The Art and Science of Persuasion
Read Harnessing the Science of Persuasion (Cialdini, 2001). Consider this source as you complete the Assignment.
- Part I: Examples
- Assemble advertisements, commercials, or personal experiences/observations that illustrate each of the six fundamental principles identified in Cialdini (2001). Do not use examples from your textbook.
- Submit “Part I”, a separate document with the examples you located. Preferably, copy and paste print media examples, along with proper citation information; links are acceptable for broadcast or electronic media (television, internet, etc.). If neither images nor links are available (e.g., in the case of a personal observation or experience), a brief description will suffice. Label your examples clearly and provide a one paragraph explanation for each.
- Part II: A Social Psychological Analysis of _______
- Explain in-depth how social psychological principles of persuasion are relevant for one of your selected advertisements, citing relevant research. Relate characteristics of the communicator, the message, and the target audience.
- Formulate a plan to intentionally enhance persuasiveness. What are various alternative techniques one might employ effectively?
- Submit “Part II”, structured as a paper and written in APA style.
The Art and Science of Persuasion paper
- Must include Parts I and II.
- Must be 3 to 5 double-spaced pages in length (including Part I, but not including title and references pages from Part II) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- A header
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must utilize academic voice.
- Must address the topic with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms the thesis.
- Must use at least five peer-reviewed scholarly sources. Additional scholarly sources are encouraged.
- Be sure to integrate your research smoothly rather than simply inserting it.
- In general, paraphrase material rather than using direct quotes.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined here and here.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style.